Confronting the Stigma of Suicide: Shining Light on a Dark Subject is an open-enrollment, self-study course is based on the archive of a MightyVet webinar presented on July 19, 2018.
Both the webinar and this archive course were made available to the veterinary community via the financial and administrative donation of VetMedTeam. We believe in the MightyVet initiative.
The webinar was the 5th in a series of free webinars addressing compassion fatigue, burnout, ethics exhaustion, decreased career satisfaction, and suicide. Unaddressed the outcome is often career and life threatening.
This course is based on the archive of the webinar and is appropriate for veterinarians, credentialed technicians, and practice team members, along with vet and tech school students.
After completion of this course the participant should be able to:
- discuss the current CDC findings for veterinarians who consider suicide
- describe the common perceptions of a suicidal person and predisposing factors
- explain the meaning behind the suicide stigma within the veterinary profession
- discuss how to recognize the warning signs of a person in crisis
- discuss utilization of QPR in creating a step by step crisis intervention