VETERINARY PRACTICE MANAGEMENT: A BIRD'S EYE VIEW
|RACE Approved For Veterinarians and Technicians
Course meets the requirements for 6 RACE hours of continuing education credit for veterinary technicians and veterinarians in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB's RACE approval. However, participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery.
RACE Subject Category: Non-Medical; Delivery Method: Non-interactive Distance; Program Number 20-757077.
VetMedTeam is approved as a New York State sponsor of continuing education for veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
VetMedTeam is approved as a Florida state sponsor of continuing education for veterinarians. The Florida Medical Board does not recognize technicians and therefore only addresses veterinarian CE requirements.
Shelby Terry-Wolfe, DVM, MBA, M.Ag., CVPM and Rhonda Bell, CVPM
|Course Focus and Learning Objectives
Veterinary Practice Management: A Bird's Eye View is designed to introduce the fundamentals of veterinary management and leadership. The roles of management verses leadership strategies are explored, along with different management styles.
Missions, visions and business basics are covered, along with a summary of OSHA requirements. Professionalism, communication and general organization of successful veterinary hospitals are described, and templates for an employee manual, job description and medical records audit are provided. An overview of human resources, marketing and finances helps participants identify critical areas of the veterinary practice that must be focused on, allowing ample opportunity for growth within the business.
With the completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- state the ethics of the AVMA and the VHMA
- define the Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship
- list types of veterinary practices
- define the Human Animal Bond
- compare and contrast managers and effective leaders
- outline the job descriptions of different levels of managers
- explain the importance of a mission and vision statement for the hospital
- describe key business basics including service groups, inventory groups and estimates
- describe the various forms of verbal and nonverbal communication, and identify characteristics of each
- discuss how behavior and appearance impact the practice
- recognize the importance of job descriptions and employment manuals
- outline the components of a complete medical record
- compare and contrast compensation models for employees
- define internal and external marketing techniques
- define variable and fixed expenses
- recognize key performance indicators and discuss financial policies
...I liked that I could take my time on the assessments, so that I did not feel rushed when taking them. I was able to focus, slow down, and think before I answered. The reading was very helpful.
...Great introduction to veterinary management.
...The succinct modules were just enough information for a newcomer and not overwhelming.
...I liked that the information was clear and concise and that I could take the course at my own pace. I also like the information that was provided for extra reading.
...Gave me a great understanding of the basic skills needed to perform parts of this new journey.
...The business and marketing aspects of this course. Also the way that this course is written is relateable.
...the explanations of financial and human resources aspects of management.
|Open Enrollment with Immediate Access and Individual Time Limits
This is an open enrollment course in a self-study format. Participants may enroll at any time. Upon submission of a completed course order, the participant is immediately added to the course. The course welcome email provides login and other important information.
This is an asynchronous course, meaning it does not contain real time components. Participants do not need to be logged into the course at specific times to attend lectures or view presentations.
Participants do not need to complete the course in one sitting. However, students who do not access the course within 30 days of last access will be processed as incomplete. Any activity within the course will reset to the full 30 days time allotment.
The completion requirements for this course are:
- complete the multiple examinations with a score of 80% or better - multiple attempts are permitted
- submit the course survey
Note: This is not an instructor based course. Therefore, submission of graded assignments is not required for completion.
Upon submission of the final completion requirement, the participant will automatically be marked as completed and the course completion email will be sent out. The participant will have immediate access to the certificate.
|Course Enrollment Fee
Price: $45.00 USD
Practices may enroll individual team members. To learn how to assign a specific team member to a course, please visit the Assigning Students page.