VetCE Virtual: Battling the Bulge - Strategies for Managing Obesity in Veterinary Patients utilizes the archive of a live presentation under the same name.
This course reviews current statistics of obesity in dogs and cats including prevalence, contributing factors, and comorbidities. It examines the endocrine and inflammatory components of obesity, as well as how to use tools to diagnose obesity. It also explains how to estimate ideal body weight, calculate RER and amount to feed to achieve ideal weight, important factors in weight loss diets, how to choose the right food, and how to prevent obesity in the first place. Lastly, the course outlines a 6 step process to easily guide your clients through a successful weight loss program.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- cite current statistics of obesity in dogs and cats including prevalence, contributing factors, and comorbidities
- cite endocrine and inflammatory components of obesity
- demonstrate how to use tools to diagnose obesity
- calculate RER for both dogs and cats for weight loss
- discuss how to choose the right diet and special ingredient considerations
- describe the 6 steps to a guiding a client through a successful weight loss program
- communicate strategies to prevent obesity in veterinary patients